The easiest way to create compelling designs is often done by applying the principle of simplification. Different art forms may achieve this by using a variety of techniques. In graphic design, one of the methods that artists rely on is utilizing image silhouettes.
Silhouettes are produced when the outlines of a person, object, or vector shapes are traced and then filled with a darker (usually black) color against a white or lighter colored background. Silhouetted images typically exude a feeling of mysteriousness and glamour at the same time. This is why silhouette designs may work with any type of graphic design project whose aim is to enrapture their audiences.
In this article, we will talk about how silhouette images may be used for Labor Day design projects and other design applications. Included in this article are ten Labor Day silhouettes that you can take inspiration from.
When to Use Labor Day Silhouettes
The Labor Day holiday is usually associated with end of summer parties, cookouts, and barbecues. And when organizing these events, promotional materials talking about the party, event, or gathering are also needed. If you want to create appealing Labor Day party invites, banners, etc., it is best to stick with a unifying theme. For celebrations or events centered around the Labor Day holiday, you may consider using a Labor Day silhouette as your design base.
Listed below are five acceptable reasons for when to create design projects based on Labor Day Silhouettes.
- When creating design projects about Labor Day holiday. The most obvious cause for using Labor Day silhouettes is if you are creating design projects for the Labor Day holiday. Sticking to a topic or theme is essential in graphic design, so by using silhouettes that specifically target your Labor Day you are adhering to theme.
- When creating projects about workers, the labor movement, economics, and other related topics. Silhouette designs can be used in a variety of art projects but is also not limited for this specific use. They may be used in company logo designs, hand tattoo designs, even as house decoration material. In the same vein, Labor Day silhouettes may also be used when creating projects concerning interconnected topics like workers’ rights, the economy, the labor movement, and even job recruitment. Graphic designers should be good at finding image sources, correlating topics, and looking out for design opportunities in every thing.
- If you want to achieve an elegant and mysterious effect with your projects. Labor Day silhouettes are design staples in terms of achieving elegance and mystery in any design project. If you want your Labor Day party flyers to ooze with these characteristics, perhaps you should invest in silhouette design templates starting from now. Simplicity and elegance in any design project is not easy to achieve single-handedly, but with the help of a silhouette design base, things will be much easier.
- If you want an uncluttered base design. Silhouettes are basically outlines of images (persons or things) and they usually come with a white or pale background. If you want a minimalist Labor Day-centered design, these outlined images should be among your first design elements. This way, your project should highlight the pieces of information that you wish to share while your design elements remain as background pieces that help glue everything together.
- If you have limited budget for design. Silhouette designs are easy to find on online graphic design resource sites and are also relatively easier to create on your own using editing software like Pixlr and Adobe Photoshop. If you have a limited budget for designing a graphic design project, using silhouettes may be the way for you. Adhering to a budget may also allow you to be more creative and resourceful on your design choices.
Where to Source Labor Day Silhouettes
Aside from Labor Day BBQ invitation cards, other forms of Labor Day-related graphic design elements are scarce. Perhaps this is due to the non-popularity of the holiday as a gift or card-giving event. Despite that, there are are still tons of online resources where you can get silhouette designs that you can incorporate to a Labor Day creative project that you are working on. Enumerated below are different websites where you can download (some for free while others are available for a fee) different silhouetted images.
- Phylopic.org. This site focuses on silhouetted images of all life forms, whether animals or humans. The site has over 2,000 images on public domain that you can download for free as long as you properly attribute the creator. This site will appeal to those who are creating design elements for books, brochures, ads, banners, flyers, etc., that will involve animal or human silhouettes. The site is also carefully curated to ensure that all the lifeforms whose silhouettes were obtained from are all taxonomically categorized. Science nerds will love this site.
- Shutterstock.com and Flicker.com. Shutterstock and Flicker are photo-sharing sites that offer both free and paid images. These sites are a treasure trove of original images, vectors, PSD templates, etc. If you have the budget and the time to browse through all their database, this will be your go-to site.
- Pixabay.com. Pixabay is one of the leading sites that offers attribution and royalty-free images and graphics. Whether you are using images for a personal project or as a company logo, Pixabay has images that will cater each of your graphic design needs.
- Graphicriver.net, Creativemarket.com, and Freepik.com. These three sites all offer images, vectors, graphics, and template files for a fee. Graphic River sellers mostly price their designs individually while Creative Market and Freepik offers subscription and licensee packages to its customers. Whether you are looking for butterfly silhouette designs or for flower silhouette designs, these three resources will offer different options for you.
Businessman Labor Day Silhouette
Happy Workers Jumping Labor Day Silhouette
Man-in-Action Labor Day Silhouette
Happy Labor Day Silhouettes
Busy People Labor Day Silhouettes
Vintage Labor Day Silhouette
Builders Labor Day Silhouette Set
Labor Day Silhouette Happy Workers Jumping Air
Blue Labor Day Silhouette
Tools Labor Day Silhouette
Other Project Ideas Using Labor Day Silhouettes
Contrary to what you many may think, Labor Day silhouettes do not have to be used exclusively for Labor Day-related events. Sure Labor Day can work with the added publicity, but still, there are different ways you can use and reuse any Labor Day silhouette that you have or will purchase. Here are a few project suggestions:
- Greeting Cards. We all know that the Labor Day holiday is not a very common time for giving away gifts (much worse, greeting cards), but you must still persist and continue creating Labor Day greeting cards if you want to turn this into a mainstream thing. Labor Day greeting cards are not all the things that you can create with a Labor Day silhouette though. You may carefully integrate silhouette designs in your cards so that you can create pop-up greeting card designs.
- Flyers and Banners. Aside from the typical BBQ grill silhouette associate with most Labor Day weekend party invites, you can use Labor Day silhouettes in creating other kinds of flyers and promotional material.
- Pop Up Cards. Using silhouette designs often is the best and easiest way to learn how to make creative pop-up cards. By creating pop up cards, you are not placing yourself and your designing skills within the confines of Labor Day-centered themes. For example, you can use jumping workers silhouette designs in creating a funny pop-up card. It is all up to you.
- Logo Design and Branding. The beauty of silhouette images is that they can all easily be transformed into logo and other product or company branding designs. This is because silhouette images already follow a two-dimensional and black-and-white presentation. And when a striking image has been converted into a silhouette, it can be easily recognizable and easy to replicate—two major characteristics of famous logo designs.
- Tattoos. To avoid feeling like you are only wasting money for buying single-use Labor Day silhouette designs, you should look at this purchase as an investment. You may use these silhouettes as a base for a tattoo design. For instance, those small tools silhouette designs can be used as an ankle tattoo design. These small back-lighted images are ideal as an ankle ink design since they can be scaled depending on the size of your ankle and your preferences.
- Photography and Videography Themes. Another project idea that you should apply your silhouette design skills is through photography and videography. If, for example, you are not satisfied with the silhouette images that you find online, you may create your own silhouetted photographs and videos. And when you have gained enough knowledge on this field, you may even begin capitalizing on this skill and earn money on the side.
- T-Shirt Design. Any Labor Day silhouette image can be incorporated into statement T-shirts to vintage T-shirt designs. All you have to do is find this link between the two and, sooner or later, you will be able to design your T-shirts just by using simple image silhouettes.
- Decals and Other Home Decor Accents. Before discarding or, worse, altogether forgetting about the Labor Day silhouettes that you have acquired, try to think about any home improvement tasks that you always seem to put off. Next, why not incorporate these silhouette designs as design base for minor home decoration ideas like wall decal designs and living room framed posters? If you already have a PSD template of various silhouette images, it will be easier to convert these designs into different decals for your home. One simple way to do this is by printing out the designs on sticker paper, cutting them out, and then sticking them on any surface of your preference. Most common decal sticking locations are bedroom walls, refrigerators, bookshelves, laptops, and room ceilings.
49+ Printable Christmas Template Designs – PSD, AI, Word
40+ Christmas Freebie From Design Trends
5+ Graphic Design Templates – AI, Psd, Docs, Pages
7 Blog Design Trends Dominating 2021
How to Create Appealing Instagram Stories that Grab Attention
Infographic Designing Tips and Trends
Key Elements of Brand Identity Design
Top Trending Designs for Typography in 2019
Best Clothing Label Designs
43+ Abstract Design Templates
57+ Ticket Design Templates – PSD, Ai, Word
12+ Stationery Designs
14+ Product Label Designs
24+ Cafe Menu Designs – Ai, Psd, Docs
15+ Wrapper Templates